When it comes to modern forced-air air conditioning systems, you have two distinct choices in front of you. First, there’s the standard central air AC that uses a network of ducts hooked up to a single indoor unit to distribute cooled air. Second, there is the ductless mini split heat pump, which has a similar outdoor cabinet to the central AC, but connects to multiple indoor units, called blowers, that are mounted in different rooms of a house. These blowers send conditioned air directly into the rooms, bypassing the need for ductwork or any sort of ventilation system entirely.
You have the choice. Which one will you pick?
If it seems like a hard choice, don’t worry.
Our technicians at Carney Plumbing Heating & Cooling are ready to assist you with deciding on the right system, whether it’s ducted or ductless air conditioning in Conshohocken, PA.
But to get you started, here are a few of the basic pros of the two.
Ducted (standard central air conditioning) advantages
- Ideal if you already have ductwork in your home. A new system will easily hook up the the ventilation system with minimal installation work.
- The cost less to install than ductless systems and take significantly less time.
- They are easy to centrally control as well as service.
Ductless mini split heat pump advantages
- A fine choice if you are planning new construction, such as remodeling, adding on a room to your current house, or building a new house entirely. You won’t have worry about duct placement or planning construction around ductwork.
- Excellent for older homes that lack ductwork. You can retire those inefficient window units and have centrally-controlled powerful air conditioning.
- Lack of ducts means no air contamination from dust or dirt gathering inside them, plus no loss of cooling through the duct walls.
- The separate blowers allow for zone control, so you can adjust the temperature in different rooms without changing the temperature in all of the rooms at the same time.
- All ductless mini splits are heat pumps, so you’ll have heating as well as cooling.
It may look like the “pros” of the ductless system easily outnumber those of the ducted system. But some of those “pros” for central AC are persuasive—especially if your home simply isn’t set up for a ductless system to work well with it.
If your still debating about whether to go ductless or not, call Carney Plumbing Heating & Cooling. One of our experts in ductless air conditioning in Conshohocken, PA will set up an appointment with you to look over your options when it comes to an AC for this summer. You can trust to our experience and integrity when it comes to home comfort.