Think back to winter. How did your heating system hold up? Was your family warm and comfortable all season long? Did you frequently struggle and fight with your furnace to get it working right? Were your energy bills through the roof? Depending on your answers to these questions, it may be time to think about a new heating system. In fact, for maximum efficiency and savings, this fall may be the best time for you to upgrade your whole HVAC system, including cooling.
New System = Savings
The biggest argument that most homeowners have against upgrading their HVAC equipment is the cost. Yes, getting new HVAC equipment is an expense. And yes, it can be quite costly. However, new HVAC systems are so efficient and pay for themselves so quickly with savings on your energy bill that they should be considered a sound investment, especially when switching from older systems. Whether you heat your home with oil, gas or electric heat, a new, efficient system can save you plenty on your monthly bill.
Aside from saving on routine costs, there is also the matter of repair costs. Have you had to have your HVAC system repaired in the last year, aside from routine maintenance? Repairs can be expensive, and if you have an older system that breaks down frequently, the costs can really add up.
When you also consider the hassle of fussing with an old HVAC system and the convenient comfort of a new model, you may realize it is time to upgrade.
Not Just Heating
When looking at a new heating system, you may want to consider upgrading the rest of your HVAC system as well. Although it seems counterintuitive to upgrade your cooling system just before winter, there are benefits.
The main benefit of upgrading your heating and cooling systems is that you can get what is called a matched system, in which all the components are designed by the manufacturer to work with one another. This creates maximum efficiency, which meets the ultimate in comfort and savings for you and your family.
With fall upon us, and winter not far behind, now is the time to think about whether your home could benefit from an HVAC upgrade.
It is easy to forget about maintaining your heating system. It is out of sight and out of mind for the most part, so until you need it, you may even forget it’s there. Maintenance is very important, though, so below are some reminders as to why you should keep your heater in good shape:
- Save the Planet – A well–maintained heating system is more efficient than one in disrepair. It can heat your home to a comfortable temperature using less energy because all of its parts are in good, working order. This means using less energy, which is good for the environment.
- Be Comfortable – Efficient heating does not just benefit the environment, it benefits you as well. When your heating system is well–maintained, it keeps your whole home at a reasonable, comfortable temperature all the time. You and your family will stay warm and cozy all winter long.
- Breathe Easy – Routine heating maintenance, such as keeping the furnace filter clean and fresh, improves the quality of air you breathe. You will have less dust and allergens floating around, meaning you can breathe easier. This is especially important if anyone in the home struggles with allergies or asthma.
- Extend the Life of Your Equipment – Routine maintenance is designed to prevent and address small problems before they become big ones. Replacing filters, tightening loose bolts, keeping fuel lines clean and replacing worn parts helps prevent major mechanical breakdowns, so your heating system lasts longer.
- Save Money – If those first four reasons are not enough, then this one should be. The money you spend on maintaining your home heating system is more than returned to you in the form of savings. How so, you wonder? It runs efficiently, so you save on monthly heating bills. It won’t need as many major repairs, so you save on those costs. And, it will last longer than poorly maintained systems, delaying the cost of replacement. You save three different ways!
You can see now that heating maintenance is important. Whether you have been putting it off or simply forgot about it, take charge now. Call a professional and get an inspection done on your heating system. Then, set up a maintenance schedule with reminders so it doesn’t fall by the way side.
Your planet, your family and your wallet will all thank you for it.