One of the big problems with hidden leaks in a home’s plumbing is that they’re … hidden. People often won’t know they’re there until they begin to cause trouble. And make no mistake, hidden leaks can cause plenty of trouble—probably much more so than you imagine.
We strongly recommend you have occasional leak detection for your plumbing in Lansdale, PA to uncover these hidden spots. We also recommend scheduling leak detection as soon as you notice an abrupt spike in your water usage or you see physical evidence of leaks, such as staining on the walls or ceiling and warped wood floors. No matter how small you might think the leak is, the consequences can be steep for your home and maybe even your health!
The Many Problems of Hidden Leaks
You can probably guess some of the ways plumbing leaks can create trouble for your house. Here’s a list of the main issues:
- Structural Damage: It doesn’t take much water to create water damage. Only a small pool of water can end up eating rapidly through drywall. The cosmetic damage a leak can do to your house is an annoyance and costly to fix. But worse, are the ways water damage can affect the structural integrity of your house, damaging beams and other supports. Bathroom leaks are especially dangerous—if you see water stains on the ceiling, have plumbers on the job immediately, since there’s a risk of the bathroom floor collapsing.
- Mold and fungus: Mold and fungus grow best in dark, wet conditions—such as between walls where there are water leaks. Both mold and fungus contribute to damaging building material, and they’re costly to remediate. The most serious problem with mold and fungus, however, is how they can negatively affect the health of people in the household, causing lung irritation, coughing, sneezing, and asthma. People who have pre-existing conditions such as allergies can be in even more serious danger.
- Foul odors: This is one of the side effects of mold, mildew, and fungus. Your house will take on an unpleasantly “moldy” smell. At the very least, this will alert you to the problem.
- Huge water bills: The amount of water that can go to waste from even the smallest leaks (“pinhole leaks”) can be staggering over time. You may end up paying hundreds more per year for water use because of these leaks. Please keep close track of your water bills so you’ll recognize when usage starts to climb for no visible reason.
- Reduced property value: If you choose to sell your home in the future, you’ll find that water damage from leaks will drive down the property value. The faster you have hidden leaks fixed, the less likely you’ll be trapped with a less valuable house when it matters the most.
Schedule Leak Detection Services
It’s not difficult to find those disguised leaks—you only have to talk to our plumbers and they’ll do the rest. We use the best in advanced plumbing tools for leak detection and repair.
Carney Plumbing Heating & Cooling is always at your service. Call our plumbers to find and fix your home’s hidden water leaks.