It can be a major challenge trying to reduce energy costs during the winter months. For many, winter can be the most expensive time of year, mainly due to heating expenses. But there are some recommended ways you can save energy and thereby money, on your heating bills this winter without taking major steps to do so:
- Install a ceiling fan – ceiling fans help circulate the air and on the “heat” setting (rotating clockwise) ceiling fans help push the warm air down, which keeps it warmer in your living spaces.
- Make sure your home has enough insulation – hiring a professional, like the ones at Carney Plumbing Heating & Cooling, to inspect your current insulation and add more if needed, can go a long way toward helping with your energy efficiency and indoor comfort.
- Cover drafty windows – hang winter drapes or cover your drafty windows with sealable plastic to cut down drafts affecting your home’s heating.
- Get a programmable thermostat – a programmable thermostat allows you to program up to 4 temperature settings per day for a 7 day program; you can loop the program if you are on a continuous routine.
- Schedule a home energy audit – a home energy audit pinpoints exact locations of air loss in addition to analyzing your energy use for the past year. At the end of the audit you’ll have a full report of the issues affecting your energy usage and a list of recommendations to remedy any existing problems.
- Schedule maintenance for your heating system – maintenance is a full tune-up for your system in which the components are inspected, cleaned and adjusted. Maintenance allows your system to operate optimally, which helps prevent repairs and keeps the system in good working order.
- Insulate your hot water heater – if you have an older hot water heater, an insulating blanket can help cut the tank’s heat loss as much as 25%.
- Close fireplace damper – if you have a fireplace, make sure the damper is closed when you aren’t using it. You may also want to install glass doors to further reduce any air loss.
Need some more suggestions? Call our heating pros today and schedule an appointment for your home in Blue Bell, PA!